VMware is very popular and was not free. For who don’t know what is VMware, It is a Virtualization system. (find more information from below quote)
After VMware become a part of EMC, I think VMware will be a freeware to support many of EMC products. Now VMware server is free and I guess next version of VMware products might be free too.
So now VMware server is freem you just register for free serial number. Download here
Virtualization is an abstraction layer that decouples the physical hardware from the operating system to deliver greater IT resource utilization and flexibility.
Virtualization allows multiple virtual machines, with heterogeneous operating systems to run in isolation, side-by-side on the same physical machine. Each virtual machine has its own set of virtual hardware (e.g., RAM, CPU, NIC, etc.) upon which an operating system and applications are loaded. The operating system sees a consistent, normalized set of hardware regardless of the actual physical hardware components.
Benefits of Virtualization
* Multiple applications and operating systems can be supported within a single physical system
* Servers can be consolidated into virtual machines on either a scale-up or scale-out architecture
* Computing resources are treated as a uniform pool to be allocated to virtual machines in a controlled manner
* Virtual machines are completely isolated from the host machine and other virtual machines. If a virtual machine crashes, all others are unaffected
* Data does not leak across virtual machines and applications can only communicate over configured network connections
* Complete virtual machine environment is saved as a single file; easy to back up, move and copy
* Standardized virtualized hardware is presented to the application – guaranteeing compatibility